The Disappointing Truth About a Wall

Walls. The basic structure of how everything is built. We build walls to keep ourselves warm in our houses, and we build walls to keep our neighbors kitchen out of our living rooms. We use walls to hang photos that hold a thousand memories, and we use walls to provide ourselves with comfort and security. But we also use walls to hide and get away from people. We can spin a door shut and laugh behind it or cry behind it. Somethings only the walls of our room know. A wall can physically keep an emotion locked away. A wall can also keep everyone who isn't wanted out. 

I am standing by this one wall right now. I didn't choose to stand by it. How did I find this wall? I was walking one day, the path I had been on for a couple years, and I hit it. I've never hit a wall no hard. I fell backwards and landed on my back. The wall went on for miles. To me, this wall was large. I laid in front of this wall for months. Just looking at it, watching it grow. I finally realized that this wall wasn't coming down and that the path was over. However, for some reason I stayed. Eventually, I was able to force my aching body to stand up, and I had to do it all on my own. I stay standing in front of this wall because there is a face that pokes out through a hole in it. This hole is perfectly shaped for the face of this person. There's a door on the side, where people can enter and exit to both sides of the wall. But I cannot. This face that I stare at is smiling and is friendly. Makes me want to get to know what is on the other side of the wall. In time, I start to see little pieces of the inside of the wall, as people enter and exit. The inside of the wall is nothing what I thought it would be based off of the face I have been staring at. However, everyone who enters and exits the wall already knew this. But they left me standing in front of a face. Alone. But you just keep smiling at the face knowing that its been a lie because you don't know what to do. All you know right now is to smile back, because on the other side of the wall, what you can't see, is what the face truly is.

If you could zoom away and see a full picture, you would see a black line in the middle of the frame. A light yellow background on the left side, with someone smiling towards a face that is pasted on the wall. On the left side you would see that face is connected to the other side of the wall that is red. 

Walls can shelter, walls can protect, but walls can also damage and reject.

Eventually, some walls fall, some walls get torn down, and some walls stay up forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This was a prompt and I answered it

Your Pinterest Quote of an Excuse

the question.